Copyright Turnbull Griffin Haesloop Architects | Site design
Built in 1869, this is the oldest house in Sausalito. Sited along a creek, the original building is a simple clapboard farmhouse with high ceilings. The house had been added onto in the 1920s when plumbing was introduced. Since the original structure is historically significant, our design approach was to demolish the addition and replace it with a new one that allowed the kitchen to move out of the historic house. Roofing the kitchen with translucent panels allows warm southern light to flow into the house. New axial openings transform the small dark historic rooms. A deck now connects the house to its large side yard and the creek.